Lights, Camera, Marquees!
Hiring a marquee for filming is an ideal solution for on-location shoots. Our production marquees provide shelter and flexibility, they are indispensable in supporting TV and film production companies. However, choosing the right marquee for your film or TV production involves careful consideration of various factors. In this blog post, we’ll explore key aspects to keep in mind when hiring marquees for your next production!
Why install a marquee on set or location while you’re filming?
Marquees are incredibly versatile structures making them perfect for any aspect of film & TV production. We can supply marquees suitable for everything from sets at the forefront of filming to back of house structures for actors and production teams. This includes:
- Makeup & wardrobe marquees – Designated areas for makeup, costume design and hair styling. Just add dressing tables and clothes rails for the perfect behind the scenes experience.
- Canteen & crew catering space – Ensure your team remains fully fuelled with space for dining and catering. Our marquees provide a comfortable and functional space for both your team and your caterers.
- Sets – Our marquees provide a blank canvas for any set. Whether you choose to build a set inside one of our marquees or use it in a scene itself our team can work with you to design a marquee that provides the perfect look and feel for your scene.
- Green rooms – Marquees provide designated additional space to have a green room where actors, guests and crew can rest between filming. With additional heating and furniture rental from Field & Lawn, the space can be made perfectly comfortable and relaxing.
- Production offices – Marquees can provide additional space to house production offices on site. Often production offices are required to help with the administrative tasks that come with managing a film production.
- Storage space – There is understandably going to be a lot of equipment required on the set of your film or TV show. Installing a marquee on site ensures your equipment is protected from the elements remaining safe and dry.
Here are some of the top things to consider when hiring a clearspan marquee for your film or TV production:
Scale of your production:
One of the first considerations you’ll need to think about when hiring a marquee is its size. The size of the marquee will depend on the scale of your production and the space available at the filming location. Consider the number of crew members, equipment, and scenes that need to be accommodated within the marquee. It’s essential to take everything into consideration and ensure you have enough space for your operations. At Field & lawn we can supply a wide range of marquee sizes, from smaller marquees to larger marquees we can install a structure that fits your space perfectly.
Every film or TV production has its unique requirements. At Field & Lawn, we can offer a wide range of customisation options to meet the specific needs of your project. This includes a huge range of carpets, vinyl flooring and specialist surfaces, ABS solid sides and glass panels, lighting fixtures, HVAC solutions, furniture rental, interior tent linings, internal fit-out options, and equipment rental.
The flexibility to adapt the marquee to various uses such as hair and makeup tents or green room marquees enhances its functionality and ensures it seamlessly integrates with the creative vision of the production.
Duration of Use:
It’s a good idea to consider the duration for which the marquee will be needed. Some productions may require a marquee for an extended period, while others may need it for specific scenes. At Field & Lawn, we can offer marquees for both short-term hire and long-term rental so you can choose stunning marquees that suits the needs of your production. No matter how long your filming schedule is.
Power Supply and Electrical Needs:
Consider the availability of power sources on-site and whether additional generators or power distribution units may be required. We provide a completely holistic solution at Field & Lawn meaning we can assess your needs and supply power distribution to your production including full lighting displays.
Aesthetics and layout of your marquee:
If the marquee is going to be used as part of a set, you will need to ensure that every detail of the interior and exterior of the marquee is fully aligned with the overall look and feel of the scenes. Some productions may also require branding or signage on the structure, at Field & Lawn we have a range of options such as bespoke gables and colour choices to make sure your marquee is fully branded to your requirements.
Typical specification of marquees for film and TV production
Capacity: 30 — 1000+ people
Dimensions: 3m — 30m wide
Flooring: Level, solid flooring
Using marquees for location filming allows production teams to take advantage of the adaptability, mobility, and cost efficiency that they provide. This ultimately contributes to a more efficient and dynamic filmmaking process.
If you’re looking for a marquee solution for your next film, why not contact our team for expert advice and guidance?